Also this year there is great excitement in the various confraternities of the towns of Sorrento, Sant’Agnello, Piano di Sorrento and Vico Equense for the organization of the procession of the Holy Week in the Sorrento Peninsula.
One of the most evocative and ancient events of Sorrento and surroundings.
A religious rite that has lasted for centuries, which is handed down from generation to generation and which, even today, is felt in the hearts of all the participants, by the children who open the procession with flower baskets to the eldest who carries the heavy cross throughout the journey.
The two processions of Sorrento have long been famous in the world, which some consider second only to those of Seville, both for their solemnity, and for the profound capacity for emotional involvement that emanates in their passage.
Program of the Holy Week processions in Sorrento
Sunday, March 25th
(Domenica delle Palme)
- 9 am Church of the SS. Annunziata. Blessing of the Palms on the church square. Mass of the Brotherhood with reading of the Passio and enthronement of Our Lady of Sorrows.
Monday, March 26th
- 6:30 pm Eucharistic celebration
- 7:30 pm Procession of the Mother of Sorrows. Itinerary: Parish Church, Via Marina Grande, Via del Mare, Via Fuoro, Sosta Chiesa dell’Annunziata, Via San Cesareo, Via P.R. Giuliani, Via V. Veneto, Stella Maris stop, Via Marina Grande, Parish Church.
Tuesday, March 27th
- 7 pm The Confraternity of Saint Peter and Saint Euphemia and the Parish of Saint Lucia of Sorrento present the Via Crucis with living paintings. Itinerary: Church of Santa Lucia, Via Parsano, Via Sant’Antonino, Chapel of Sant’Antonio, Venerable Archconfraternity of the SS. Rosary
Thursday, March 29th
- 8:30 pm White Procession (Visit to the Altars of the Reposition) Chiesa del SS. Rosario, Via Tasso, Via San Cesareo, Via Padre Reginaldo Giuliani, Church of San Francesco (Altar of Reposition), Via San Francesco, Piazza Sant’Antonino, Church of Santa Maria delle Grazie (Altar of Reposition), Basilica di Sant’Antonino (Altar of Reposition), Via Luigi De Maio, Church of Carmine (Altar of Reposition), Corso Italia, Cathedral (Altar of Reposition), Via Tasso, Church of SS. Rosario (Altar of Reposition).
Friday, March 30th
- 8:30 pm Black Procession (Venerable Archconfraternity of Death Procession of the Dead Christ) Via Sersale, Via degli Aranci, Hospital, Corso Italia, Piazza Tasso, Corso Italia, Via B. Capasso, Via Correale, Piazza Tasso, Via San Cesareo, Via Tasso, Via Vittorio Veneto, Via San Francesco, Piazza Sant’Antonino, Via Luigi De Maio, Piazza Tasso, Corso Italia, returning liturgical action and blessing with the Wood of the Cross, returning to the Church of the Servants of Mary.
Saturday, March 31st
- 10:30 pm Solemn Easter Vigil Cathedral Church
Sunday, April 1st
- 9 am Church of the SS. Annunziata. Mass of the Brotherhood. Blessing of the water and distribution of blessed bread.
Tags: April • Easter • March